Structural Bonding - Epoxies
Epoxy adhesives are mainly used for high load transmission to replace common mechanical joining methods. Two parts bonded with such an adhesive could be considered as structurally linked. Mechanical characteristics like high strength, high modulus and high adhesion have proven to be effective for customer applications in demanding industries like aerospace and automotive.
Advantages and Considerations
- Simplifies construction by increasing strength/rigidity for load transmission
- Prevents material fatigue and failure by achieving uniform transmission of loads (stress distribution) and by maintaining the structural integrity (no thermal or mechanical weakening of parts)
- Saves production costs by replacing conventional mechanical fasteners (screws, rivets or welding)
- Saves material cost and saves weight by reducing material thickness while maintaining load transmission characteristics
- Allows the most varied substrate combinations, e.g. metal/plastics, metal/glass, metal/wood etc.